Importing a particular key from a key ring

Neal H Walfield neal at cs.uml.edu
Fri Sep 21 23:43:02 CEST 2001

I would like to be able to import a singe key from a given key ring.
This is what I am using (if there is a nicer way, feel free to point
me to the documentation):

        # gpg --keyring my-keyring --export user at gnu.org | gpg --import

This gives a little bit of extra output:

        neal at bassanio:~ (0)$ gpg --keyring keyring --armor --export \
        > neal at cs.uml.edu | gpg --import
        gpg: keyblock resource `/home/neal/.gnupg/keyring': file open error
        gpg: key 8BAFCDBD: not changed
        gpg: Total number processed: 1
        gpg:              unchanged: 1

Note the superfluous error message.  When we provide a full path, this
message is, as expected, elided:

        neal at bassanio:~ (0)$ gpg --keyring $PWD/keyring --export \
        > neal at cs.uml.edu | gpg --import
        gpg: key 8BAFCDBD: not changed
        gpg: Total number processed: 1
        gpg:              unchanged: 1

If this is a considered to be a security feature, it is, in my
personal opinion, better that a full path be enforced.

Thanks.