Charset Problems

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 11 15:53:03 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:19:29 +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo said:

>  I get this for José Carlos García Sogo in gpg
>   uid                            Jos\xe9\x20Carlos Garc\xed\x61 Sogo

>  Before 1.2 it worked fine, having 'charset utf-8' in options file. But

--charset=utf-8 is actually nothing more than: Don't convert anything.

The problem you encounter is that the print function sanitizes the
string and detects that 0xe9, 0x20 is not a valid utf-8 sequence.  It
seems to be safest to hex print the characters in this case.

Using the machine interface (i.e. --with-colons), you won't see this
quoting.

Shalom-Salam,