secring.gpg: file open error

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Mon Dec 16 15:05:01 CET 2002

After successfully installing GnuPG and calling gpg --gen-key for the first
time
I get an error message that gpg can't open the secring and some messages that
the .gnupg directory and pubring were created. When I try now to create my
key
pair, gpg fails.

If I call gpg --gen-key again, gpg creates the secring.gpg and it works.

This behaviour is reproducible, if I delete the .gnupg directory.

This is on a Solaris 8 Intel machine with prngd, openssl & openssh installed.

gpg is running suid (to avoid the famous "insecure memory").

Is this a bug or a feature ?

bash-2.03$ rm -r .gnupg/
bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1; Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: /home/treutwei/.gnupg: directory created
gpg: new configuration file `/home/treutwei/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/treutwei/.gnupg/secring.gpg': file open error
gpg: keyring `/home/treutwei/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) DSA and ElGamal (default)
   (2) DSA (sign only)
   (5) RSA (sign only)
Your selection? ^C
gpg: some signal caught ... exiting

bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1; Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: keyring `/home/treutwei/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created

--
	Bernhard Treutwein
	Work: Bernhard.Treutwein at verwaltung.uni-muenchen.de
	Home: BdT at wildwein.de