basic error? PHP and GPG

Ken McCormack design at palmer21.com
Tue Dec 17 12:37:02 CET 2002

Thanks Noel, will try that. I was aware of the difference, but not what to
do about it.

On the recent post regarding the secring.pgp:file open error - ( I haven't
seen the full thread, sorry... please forgive me if I'm 'barking up the
wrong tree' with this),  this error looks quite similar to the one I was
getting.

Just to give a basic explanation about what happened (in case any other poor
designers are having the same trouble), I was getting an error because I had
imported keys as the wrong user -- I was importing key files into my site
login username or as root, rather than the web server user 'apache' or
'httpd'.  The keys weren't found because they had been installed for another
user.

Its pretty obvious when you think about it, as neither root nor the site
user actually call the gpg script. But it fooled me for a few days.   When
using PHP for example, this is done on behalf of the web server user... so
the keys need to be added from apache or httpd or 'nobody'... what I did was
log in as root and su to apache.

I also found that 'apache' also needed to have full write permissions on the
/home/apache/.gnupg/ directory, so it could create the keyring etc.

I recently tried to set this up on a shared hosting account for a design
client, my host charged me $75 to set up the keyrings, apparently it was the
first time they had this requested...!

Perhaps a good subject for a FAQ for the site would be 'setting up GPG on a
shared server'?

Best regards

Ken