[Announce] GPGME 0.4.0 released

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo jose at jaimedelamo.eu.org
Tue Dec 24 17:28:01 CET 2002

El día 24 dic 2002, Marcus Brinkmann escribía:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 12:52:28PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> >  Is going to be then the whole 0.4.x branch for testing?
>
> I think that we will probably handle it like the 0.3.x branch.  At some
> time, the interfaces will be stable and we will work on 0.5.x.

  But will version 0.5.x change the API again?

> Although GPGME is not in its baby shoes anymore, there is some substantial
> work still left to be done.  Not all of this work is internal, so the
> interfaces are still being worked on.  As this doesn't happen at the desk,
> but rather in conjunction with real world applications like GPA (0.6.0 just
> released, which, surprisingly :) depends on GPGME 0.4.0), the release
> schedule is not like what you expect from a mature project.

  Yes, but perhaps you should start maturing it. When you reach an age,
  you have to mature wether you want or not. If not, you can get in
  trouble... or become Peter Pan ;)

> Note that from a productivity point of view, all GPGME 0.x versions will be
> "unstable".  The stable requirement comes from the interface.  The purpose
> is that a programmer can decide when to upgrade to the new interfaces in
> the 0.4.x branch when it is convenient for the project GPGME is used for.
> The other way round, we can just keep going experimenting and improving the
> interfaces without screwing over the users who just want it to work.
>
> GPGME 0.4.x can coexist with the 0.3.x shared libraries.

  Yes, I know. But if you're going to use this way, I'll have to change
  how GPGME is package in Debian, as currently only one version can be
  supported (there is only one libgpgme-dev package)
  But this also means going on supporting and fixing bugs in 0.3.x
  branch, because if you don't force users to switch, they'll go on
  using the old one unless they want some of the new functionality.

  So think about this. Perhaps it worths introduce even more API changes now
  in 0.4.x branch, and later go on working in internals until version
  1.0.0. From there, all 1.x versions will have the same API (or perhaps
  the 1.0.x ones, if you don't plan to rewrite some internal part). And
  you can start working on version 2.0 (or 1.2) which will change again
  the API to introduce some improvements.

  I wouldn't like to have to mantain libgpgme[6-20] packages ;)

  Merry Xmas!

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo at debian.org