aborting (or finishing) pending operations in GPGME

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 14 08:38:01 CET 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:44:05 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> interface, because they serve no value I can think of.  The only thing you
> can ever do after that is call gpgme_wait() on the context, and then you
> could delay starting the operation to the time you are going to do that.
> Am I missing a reason for the potential asynchronous usage here?

Background:

The idea behind the foo_start functions was to _eventually_ enable us
to implement an asynchronous mode.  The gpgme_wait does of course not
work for this; the scheduling must implemented in another way.  I have
found no easy way to implement this in a portable way so that it can
be used with threads, the glib select loop and all the other ways to
implement asynchronous operations.  We probably need different
implementations to match the way the host system is designed - not
easy to put into a library and avoid dependencies on other libraries.