`byte' typedef?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 1 23:15:01 CEST 2002

* On 2002.07.01, in <87lm8vlx21.fsf at alberti.gnupg.de>,
*	"Werner Koch" <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> > where it didn't appear to matter whether they were unsigned, but perhaps
> > casts are preferred?
>
> casts are only required very rarely today since we now have the void*.

But that only works if one of the entities being compared is a void*.
If one isn't, then you have to prototype as void* (gnupg doesn't) or
cast to void* (and then you're casting). So I'm not sure where this is
relevant.

> >From the gcc manual:
>
>    * Warning about assigning a signed value to an unsigned variable.
>
>      Such assignments must be very common; warning about them would
>      cause more annoyance than good.
>
> I have seen some compilers with an option to suppress these warnings.

Yes, some compilers have such options. But what is the solution to
this problem (excessive warnings) that you would accept into the code
base? Would you accept casts? Or prototype changes, where there's no
particular conflict? Or would you rather I submit a patch setting the
Solaris CC to "cc -erroff=E_ARG_INCOMPATIBLE_WITH_ARG", and cause gnupg
to ignore all type mismatches?

I just want to see warnings in stock code disappear, and I'm trying to
help make it happen.

--
 -D.			Fresh fruit enriches everyone.  Takes the thirst
 ENSA, NSIT		out of everyday time.  A pure whiff of oxygen,