gpgme license

Niels Provos provos at citi.umich.edu
Thu Jul 25 14:06:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:54:26AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:57:22 -0400, Niels Provos said:
> > is GPL, that would make his code automatically GPL, too.  As a result,
> > he was asking if it is possible to make gpgme licensed under the LGPL
> > which was created specifically for this purpose.
> I have decided to publish GPGME under the GPL and I see no reason to
> change it.  Frankly, I can't do that anymore because some small parts
> are taken from FSF copyrighed GPL code.
Doesn't that contradict your next statement that you switched the
license of gcrypt?  Or do we have to differentiate between FSF
(Stallman) and the GNU project (non-only Stallman) here?

> You may have noticed that we (the GNU project) recently switched the
> license of libgcrypt and GNUTLS from GPL to LGPL with the rationale
> that there already a couple of other libraries doing the same and we
> would not gain anything from keeping it under the GPL.  GPGME is a
> different thing.
Marius, if you are dead-set on using PGP for your application, I
suggest that you use Tom Zerucha's OpenPGP implementation.  It uses
OpenSSL and is itself released under a free license.

Niels.