gpg 1.0.7: --edit-key/pref bug?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jul 28 17:48:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 04:28:23PM +0200, Stéphane Corthésy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I found a bug in command --edit-key: when listing preferences
> for a key, using command 'showpref' or 'pref' doesn't give the same
> results.

[..]

> Note that when using 'pref', there are only two cipher algorithms listed
> (S10 S3), but when using 'showpref', three of them are listed (TWOFISH,
> CAST5, 3DES). 3DES is not listed with 'pref'.

That's not a bug, that's a feature ;)

'pref' shows the preferences that actually exist on the key.
'showpref' shows the preferences that will actually be used.  This
means that if you don't have 3DES actually listed on the key, it will
be automatically added on the end.

I'm wondering if I should put the "automatic" 3DES in (parentheses) or
something to help make this clear.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/