Symmetric encryption

Gordon Worley redbird at rbisland.cx
Sun Jul 28 19:24:01 CEST 2002

On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 12:08  PM, David Shaw wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  As you say, you can use
> --cipher-algo to set the cipher to use.  If you don't specify
> something, it uses whatever the s2k-cipher-algo is.

I'm looking at this from a GPGME perspective.  If I tell GnuPG to
symmetrically encrypt a file, I'd like for GnuPG to tell me what
algorithm was used so that I can tell the user (in case they let it
default to the s2k cipher algorithm, which the average user probably
doesn't know off hand).  Maybe there's no way to do it?

At any rate this probably won't matter if I can specify the cipher
algorithm.

> The s2k cipher
> algo defaults to CAST5.

A quick test will show that you are correct, but the documentation says
that the default is Blowfish.

--
Gordon Worley - Mac GPG Project
http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/              ``Doveriai no proveriai.''