GnuPG 1.1.90 released

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Mon Jul 29 11:42:02 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian M. Carlson" <karlsson at hal-pc.org>
To: <gnupg-devel at gnupg.org>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: GnuPG 1.1.90 released

> I believe that providing a DFSG-free distribution (one without IDEA)
> allows people to use the program in its natural state if they so choose.
> Then, those people who wish to use IDEA (for whatever reason) may do so
> by linking dynamically. It makes it easy for the user, legal, and
> ethical. What could be better?

But exactly why should statically linking IDEA be different from that?
Unlike copyright, patents are about *use*, not presence, of the code based
on some intellectual property. Just disable IDEA unless the users specify
the option
"--enable-stinking-patented-idea-for-which-i-should-pay-a-license", and
everything will be as legal and ethical as providing, separately, a loadable
module.

Enzo