Patches for gnupg 1.0.7 / cygwin 1.3.10

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 4 20:45:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:53:37 +0200, Volker Quetschke said:

> cases with __CYGWIN__ for the file handling to use its own (standard
> posix) file handling. Cygwin does have a /dev/random, therefore I
> changed from rndw32 to rndlinux.

This seems to be a new feature - did you review the architecture of
this device?

> Please review the patch and implement if possible. It mainly removes
> special cases for cygwin.

There are two main reason why Cygwin is not supported and why the
existing support may be dropped in the future:

1. There are conflicts between passed file descriptors.  Cygwin and
   Windows use different semantics for that and GnuPG has already a
   mapping between the external file descriptors and those used with
   the CRT.  Now knowing what version of GnuPG is running on a Windows
   box is a bad thing for other applications.  Adding extra code to
   check for this is too complicated and thus error prone.

2. Having a native Windows binary is a clear advantage for maintenance
   and support.

What we will support is cross compiling using a gcc running under
Cygwin to a native windows application.

Shalom-Salam,