Untrusted keys && --batch

Andreas John ajgpgml at tesla.inka.de
Tue Jun 11 20:56:02 CEST 2002

Hi!

I noticed some minor annoyance with GPG as an automated process (I am currently using the Nullify1.0.7-Win32-Binary [still waiting for an official gnupg.org-binary...]):
If I want to encrypt to an untrusted recipient in batch-mode I don't get a useful response from GPG.

Here is an example ("untrust at test.account" is just a constructed and untrusted UserID):

C:\Bin>gpg -ea --batch --status-fd 2 -r untrust at test.account
gpg: F5184992: There is no indication that this key really belongs to the owner
[GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 untrust at test.account
gpg: no valid addressees
[GNUPG:] NO_RECP 0
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: no such user id

In the "Details" I found:
    INV_RECP <reason> <requested_recipient>
        Issued for each unusable recipient. The reasons codes
        currently in use are:
          0 := "No specific reason given".
          1 := "Not Found"
          2 := "Ambigious specification"

Wouldn't it be nice to have an "untrusted"-reasoncode here too?

Or the do_we_trust()-function itself could issue an Status-FD-Message that can be easily analysed.

Bye!