Gpgme license

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo jose at jaimedelamo.eu.org
Wed Jun 12 16:50:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:36:31PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> * Jeffrey Stedfast writes:
> > No, unfortunately Evolution cannot use Gpgme. The Exchange Connector is
> > a component, but still needs to link to the libraries within Evolution,
> > and so we cannot safely use other people's GPL'd code :-(
>
> Evolution can use Gpgme without any problems, the problem is with this
> Exchange Connector.  From what I can see, the Exchange Connector is
> non-free software.

   Of course I know that. And I also understand Ximian position. They
  need to make cash, so they have to sell something. The question was
  how the Exchange Connector needed Evolution to work. If it didn't
  need to be linked with Evolution, because it were a idependient
  component, you could have a GPL Evolution and a non-free Connector
  without any problem. Even if you were using some GPL code from other
  people.