timestamp (0x40) signatures?

Bernd Eckenfels lists at lina.inka.de
Mon Mar 4 22:31:02 CET 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 12:17:24PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> I think it would be very good to clear this up in the next OpenPGP
> draft though.  A notary signature sounds very useful and if it was
> clear what it meant, then we could implement and use it :)

The question is, if a special signature packet type is needed, anyway. The
notar can simply envelop the detached signature and a time-stamp-packet with
a normal PGP signature?

BTW: for X.509/SigG Applications something similiar is a requirement: one
checks the signature of a received document and asks the CA if the
certificate is still valid (OSPC). The received statement that for a given
time/query the certificate was not revoked should be archived by the
original receiver, to proof that the signature was not revoked (this is, to
avoid re-dating of signatures, which do not eed to carry a official
timestamp according to law, yet).

I guess something similiar can be added to the OpenPGP draft as the usual
application for Timestamp signatures.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels at Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --
  o--o     *plush*  2048/93600EFD  eckes at irc  +497257930613  BE5-RIPE