OO and the Real World? (Was: Moz, License)

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at inav.net
Tue Mar 19 00:13:01 CET 2002

> Until programming *techniques* begin to mature to the point where we can
> flow between the paradigms, we will continue to mis-apply them and
> thereby increase the complexity of our code.

Let me edit your first sentence: until /programmers/ mature to the point
where we can abandon One True Way thinking and instead use the proper
tool for the job, we will continue to mis-apply our tools and thereby
increase the complexity of our code.

This is, incidentally, why I'm such a fan of C++ and Python.  C++,
contrary to popular opinion, isn't an object-oriented language.  It's a
multiparadigm language and one of the paradigms it supports is OO.
Procedural, functional, generic, OO... they're all tools in the
toolbox.  The wise programmer uses the correct tool for the job.  C++
and Python just give me an awful lot of tools.

I really think the idea of One True Way is a childhood disease of
programmers.  All of us fall victim to it at some point, and for a lot
of us, the disease becomes a chronic condition.