Generating PGP 2.6.2-compatible RSA signing keys with GnuPG

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 28 10:02:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:51:57 -0800, Russ Allbery said:

>     gpg --gen-key --pgp2

GnuPG does not create the old v3 keys used with PGP2.  There are good
reasons not to support the old format any longer; it has some minor
flaws.  GnuPG can use these v3 keys without any problems, though.

I'd suggest that you either create the key using PGP2, continue to use
an old one or send private mail to discuss whether I can provide an
inofficial patch for this.

We should add a warning that --pgp2 has no effect on key creation.