deleting a uid from a public key

Denis Walker denis at ripe.net
Thu May 30 14:47:01 CEST 2002

Hi guys

According to your manual you can delete a uid from your local public key. But
if someone else imports your key it merges the uids from the old and new keys.
So the deletion does not take effect. The manual says in order to delete a uid
from someone's public key you must first remove the key and them import the
new key. Why does import not delete uids? Are there any security implications
involved here? If I am updating keys should I always remove the key first and
them import the new one?

cheers
denis