Compiling gpgmeplug in Debian package, and libtool problem

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 25 19:55:02 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:14:13PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>     I was thinkig on compiling gpgmeplug in the Debian package. The main
>    problem I have found is that libtool tries to relink the libraries
>    made for gpgmeplug inn the make install process, which called in the
>    building process of a Debian package fails, unless there is an old
>    libggpme-dev package installed yet in the system.

Well, one solution is to split off gpgmeplug into a different source
package, that build depends on gpgme.  The reason that gpgmeplug exists in
the gpgme sources is because it was convenient for us to do so.  (Also see
the note in README: `gpgmeplug' is experimental and you should not assume
that it will stay with gpgme.  which expresses this sentiment)

> P.D: Perhaps I should write also to debian-devel, but taking into
> account how things are there, we could end in a flamewar trying to show
> that libtool sucks ;)

Libtool is doing the right thing, the problem is the ELF standard.  Later
drafts have the RUNPATH concept, which replaces RPATH and has the right
precedence, so once we get support for that in binutils, we can rectify this
and other issues.

Thanks,
Marcus

--