Hi!

Ricardo Andere de Mello gandhi at quilombodigital.org
Wed Oct 2 12:00:02 CEST 2002

Hi,
I'm a brazilian programmer and I'm new to this list.
I'm from a organization thta studies the ethical and philosophical aspects of
free software. It's called Quilombo Digital.
We are making some changes in our main web server and I was thinking about
adding a keyserver. When I searched for keyserver solutions I haven't found
anything useful. (GPL, descentralized, stable, etc...)

So, as a java programmer, I decided to start a research to make a small
keyserver, I started today.;-)
I'd like to know from you:
1) what is the big deal? what is the pitfall, the complicated part in doing
this?
2) Why not use a P2P infrastructure? Why not make the client ask the other
servers how many space they have (query), so the client can send the key to
the server with more space?(compared to the others... load balancing...)
3) when it looks for the key, it will be a p2p query. Each server will have a
kind of "p2p network cache", when a query passes by a server, it stores the
more commonly used. This will guarantee that if, for any reason, a keyserver
goes down, they most used keys will be disponible.(controled redundancy, but
fault-tolerant)
4) Backup server? Why not a global system where all inserted keys are logged
at one server. This server will just receive from hundreds of keyservers the
key additions(small traffic). When one server looses all it's information
(very rare), it just retrieves the logs using ftp and remounts the database
from the log.
5) Am I saying too many stupid things????? I just started today!!!!
heheh... Forgive me.....8-P

[]s, gandhi

--
Ricardo Andere de Mello