easy email encryption

Joel N. Weber II devnull at gnu.org
Wed Oct 23 20:25:02 CEST 2002

   How about using a locally controlled key server, say in a corporate
   network?  It wouldn't necessarily sync with public key servers, just
   serve employee keys.  Getting a one-to-one match for email address to
   key should work pretty well in this situation, correct?

I would expect that if you check for a trusted signature, it ought to
work fine.  Most keyservers I'm familiar with don't come with any real
security mechanism, and checking for a trusted signature is still
likely to be a little bit more secure than assuming that your
ldap over tls server isn't compromised, if the machines used to handle
the trusted keys are kept very secure.