using subkey signatures

Matthew Byng-Maddick gnupg at lists.colondot.net
Mon Sep 2 16:11:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 02:44:53PM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> It just came to my attention (thanks Matthew) that gpg can't
> auto-retrieve a key if the signature was made by a subkey, since the
> main keyid is not contained in the signature package at all.
>
> Is there some work done to make this work?
>  - the keyserver could index the subkey id's, too or

This seems to me to be the right solution.

> I'll do the 2nd for now, although I feel the first would be 'cleaner'
> (although I don't know why, really).

Well, given that all keys have keyids, it seems reasonable to index all
the ids contained within the same key structure to the key, because, as
in this case, you can't otherwise easily find the appropriate key.

Even then, I realised my mistake when looking at your webpage. It may
be worth changing your (normal) .sig to say that your keyid is not
necessarily what it seems. :-)

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <mbm at colondot.net>           http://colondot.net/