Feature req for GPGME

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at inav.net
Thu Sep 26 02:52:02 CEST 2002

While working on the C++ bindings for GPGME (and also having fun playing
around with those bindings), I've found that in my own code, 90% of the
time I'm using a key in an immutable context--I'm getting strings of UID
names, email addresses, etc., but I'm not actually changing anything
about the key.

This led me to wonder about the feasability of adding an operation to
GPGME, something like:

GpgmeErr
gpgme_get_key_struct(GpgmeKey key, GpgmeKeyStruct &kstruct)

Any given keystruct would be populated with the data associated with the
key--everything shy of the GpgmeKey itself.

It would seem that just having a single function call to get all the
relevant data about a key would be a useful addition to GPGME.  I know
we have get_as_xml(), but then you have to have some additional function
overhead to turn the XML representation into a representation directly
usable to a C programmer.

I don't think this would be a difficult thing to code in, at most just a
couple hours of work.  If there's any interest, I'll bang it out and
submit a patch.  Otherwise, I'll just go back to lurking on the list.
:)

--
Geek Code: GAT d- s+:+ a27 C++(+++)$ ULB++>++++ P++ L+++>++++ E W+ N+ w
           PS+ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t+ 5++ X-- R tv b+++ DI++ D--- G+ e++ h*