Aside: GPG-1.2 useless

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 26 14:45:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:04:07 -0700, Hugh Daniel said:

>   Sadly GPG-1.2 still can not do the PGP2 protocol correctly, so it is
> only somewhat useful as a file integrity check system...still.

As a FreeS/WAN developer you should best know why we can't support
PGP2: It is patent encumbered.

There is no reason to restrict --encrypt --sign to a packet format
PGP2 can handle because you won't be able to use it due to the IDEA
algorithms.

>   Lets hope someday it works for _all_ PGP/GPG/OpenPGP users.  In the
> mean time our team will continue to use PGP2 for everything.

Please understand that OpenPGP *tries* to be compatible to PGP2 but
after all it is a new standard and at some point GnuPG will make
certain things an error and not just a warning.  The PGP2 format has
some well know security flaws which might bite you in the future.

Shalom-Salam,