gpg asking gpg-agent for subordinate key's passphrase

Michael Teichgräber mt at wmipf.in-berlin.de
Tue Apr 1 15:03:24 CEST 2003

Hello,

I am using a keypair containing a primary DSA key and a subordinate
encryption-only ElGamal key (as it is default). If I understand it
right, there is only one passphrase for protecting both the primary
and the subordinate key.

When using gpg (1.2.1) with gpg-agent, I normally have to enter my
passphrase two times: When decrypting, and when signing.

This is because gpg sends a GET_PASSPHRASE with the key ID of the
subordinate key in the first case, and with that of the primary key in
the other case. However, in both cases the same passphrase will be
returned.

If gpg would ask gpg-agent for the primary key ID in both cases, this
would perhaps avoid the need for typing the passphrase a second
time. Could this have unwanted side-effects?

--
Michael