Still problems with GPGME with multithread

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Wed Apr 2 20:40:02 CEST 2003

Am 02.04.03 15:31 schrieb(en) Marcus Brinkmann:
> I am not sure how you use libtool, but it seems you are using -lgpgme.la.

Nope. I build the list of libs (which is then fed into libtool) using the
command

BALSA_LIBS="$BALSA_LIBS `gpgme-config --libs`"

and in this list -lpthread is *guaranteed* to come before gpgme.

> For a workaround, try without that and link to -lgpgme direcly, or even
> "-lpthread -lgpgme", so it doesn't consider the la script and maybe that
> helps to avoid the reordering.  As gpgme itself does not depend on other

Nope again. I tried the replace the command above with exactly this.
libtool gets the right sorting but still decides that libpthread must come
much later than libgpgme.

> I will consider the alternatives (fixing libtool or gpgme).

Either it's possible to *force* libtool linking a specific library before
an other one, or gpgme is simply not compatible with libtool (and, in
turn, with any software using it). Or say that libtool is crap...

> something that always should work really did work.  If it should always
> work
> and doesn't, then it is a bug and should be fixed.  Don't compromise on
> bugs!

IMHO, it's always nice to have some means for debugging...

> I don't really want to link at run time, there is no need for that here.

... as long as you don't use libtool ;-))

Cheers, Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress at arcor.de