Problems with GNUpg 1.2.2 on AIX 5.2.0 (ML 1)

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Aug 2 17:34:02 CEST 2003

Jeffery Martinez <Jeffery.Martinez at shell.com> writes on Wed, 30 Jul
2003 18:51:41 -0500

>> I have not been able to get the GNUpg 1.2.2 to work with AIX 5.2 using the
>> /dev/random device to pull random information.  The program is not able to
>> gather enough data and just sits there waiting forever for more random data
>> to appear:

Try using /dev/urandom instead.  /dev/random is cryptographically
strong, and will not return data until sufficient entropy has been
collected.  /dev/urandom is somewhat weaker, and can produce a steady
stream of data without delay.

Most systems that have these devices have this property, although at
least one that I've seen has a nonstop /dev/random.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 581 4148                  -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe at math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe at acm.org  beebe at computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe at ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -