NewPG is now GnuPG 1.9

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Aug 5 21:52:03 CEST 2003

Hi!

I just did the first release of GnuPG 1.9 which aims to integrate
newpg with gpg.  It should work as a drop in replacement for
gpg-agent, scdaemon and gpgsm.  Some things have bin fixed there since
the last newpg releases.  gpg is also included but renamed to gpg2 and
gpgv2 to avoid conflicts with stable GnuPG versions.

The whole thing is not very well tested but it works for me and the
changes to the software already existing in newpg are straightforward.

gpg2 has been changed to use libgcrypt but secret key management is
still done by itself and not by gpg-agent.  However, --use-agent is
the default now and we support the new OpenPGP smartcards.

If you want to check it out:

  ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/gnupg-1.9.0.tar.gz (1135k)
  ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/gnupg-1.9.0.tar.gz.sig

Some NEWS:

 * gpg has been renamed to gpg2 and gpgv to gpgv2.  This is a
   temporary change to allow co-existing with stable gpg versions.

 * ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf-1.9.0 is fist tried as config file before the
   usual gpg.conf.

 * Removed the -k, -kv and -kvv commands.  -k is now an alias to
   --list-keys.  New command -K as alias for --list-secret-keys.

 * Removed --run-as-shm-coprocess feature.

 * gpg does now also use libgcrypt, libgpg-error is required.

 * New gpgsm commands --call-dirmngr and --call-protect-tool.

 * Changing a passphrase is now possible using "gpgsm --passwd"

 * The content-type attribute is now recognized and created.

 * The agent does now reread certain options on receiving a HUP.

 * The pinentry is now forked for each request so that clients with
   different environments are supported.  When running in daemon mode
   and --keep-display is not used the DISPLAY variable is ignored.

 * Merged stuff from the newpg branch and started this new
   development branch.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com