encrypting to expired keys (was Re: Expire-date of subkey problem)

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 21 23:47:02 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 05:53:09PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:

> I'll admit to a certain curiosity as to why someone would want to do
> such a thing.  This key is no more.  It has ceased to be.  It's
> *expired*.

> Using it after expiration is against the express wishes of the person
> who put the key out there in the first place - the key owner.

Assuming the keyholder can figure out their software and can easily
transmit key updates to those who would use the otherwise-expired key,
then yes.  But, just as one can use a telephone to verify the finger-
print of a new key, one should also be able to say: "Use my existing key
for another week, I'm unable to create and transmit a new one right now."
Why preclude this?

--
Jason Harris          | NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris at widomaker.com | web:  http://jharris.cjb.net/