GnuPG binaries with IDEA

Gordon Worley redbird at mac.com
Tue Aug 26 15:27:02 CEST 2003

Hi, everyone.

This morning I was trying to look at it, but I'm not 100% clear on what
the situation with IDEA is.  I know that it's patented in some
countries and can't be used there without a license, although IIUC the
US is surprisingly not one of those countries.  At any rate, what would
be the legal situation on releasing binaries of GnuPG that included the
IDEA code?  Would there be potential legal issues to deal with or is it
more a matter of needing to maintain two separate binaries?

Obviously I'd like to avoid legal trouble, but this morning I was
thinking about it and couldn't really see why not to release a version
of IDEA built-in for those who can use it other than that for some
reason way in the past I decided that we couldn't.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Gordon Worley - Mac GPG Project
http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/              ``Doveriai no proveriai.''