GnuPG binaries with IDEA

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Aug 26 17:02:01 CEST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:28:42 -0400, David Shaw said:

> There is a licencing conflict between the IDEA licence (patented, but
> no cost for non-commercial use only) and the GnuPG licence (the GPL).

[And only allowed after getting explict permission for the software.]

> I know about the Nullify release of GnuPG.  It's questionable whether
> this is compliant with the GPL.

It is released in violation of the GPL.  The trick with the IDEA
module is there to workaround this license problems in the few
countries where IDEA is not patented.  The GPL is about distribution
and not about running a program, so using an already existing module
is okay.  It is not okay to distribute it.

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com