How to add my own algorithm to gnupg?

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Fri Aug 29 16:40:01 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:07:02AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> The first way.  The extension module feature was removed from GnuPG
> for several reasons (portability, code simplicity, lack of use).  To
> add a new algorithm, you need to:
>
> a) Write the code for your new algorithm.  See the files in cipher/
> b) When you need an algorithm number, use something in the 100-110
> c) Add your algorithm to the necessary table in GnuPG (cipher/md.c for

d) Do not get upset or disappointed if your new algorithm / implmentation
does not become popular. Cryptography is a fairly conversative bunch
in practice, and if your algorithm is not well known, and greatly
cryptanalyzed, I don't think many people will want to become bleeding edge
testers / victims.