Calling gpg with password

Matthew Allen fret at memecode.com
Tue Dec 2 15:20:20 CET 2003

This is probably obvious to everyone here, but I can't seem to find a search util for the archives so here goes.

I'm writing a GUI front end for GPG and I want to pass in the password that the user has entered in the GUI to GPG in some reasonably secure way. I was using --passphrase-fd 0 but that seems flaky, it's complaining about no /dev/tty. Since I'm calling GPG via the command line I'd assume that some sort of piping is going on.

There isn't going to be a proper library that applications can link against is there? Instead of joining things together over the command line.

In any case I get the impression that it's not the "right" way of doing it anyway. So enlighten me, whats the best way to do this?

regards
--
Matthew Allen
(fret at memecode.com) (http://www.memecode.com)