"expert" mode and read-only features

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Dec 8 12:36:36 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:48:48AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:49:24 +0200, Maxim Britov said:
>
> > I think You should make read-only features as full enabled when I use "--expert".
>
> The idea of the read-only features is to have most actual used
> releases enabled to allow reading these option when eventually a new
> release can create such options.

I'm rather surprised at how well this has worked out.  When 1.2.2
added read-only SHA-256, I halfway expected a lot of people to
immediately patch around it.  For whatever reason it hasn't happened
(people don't actually care about SHA-256, don't understand the code,
do understand the code but want to be conservative about hashes, etc)
I'm pleased.

David