gpg --command-fd and gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 11 17:09:28 CET 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:06:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast said:

> what I'd like to know is what is the appropriate way for me to deal with
> this? is there some sort of mesg I can watch for on the --status-fd? or
> is there a way for me to override their gpg-agent setting and just make
> it use my prompt instead?

Here is what you basically see if the agent is actually used:

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Foo Bar
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE ...
[GNUPG:] BAD_PASSPHRASE ...

Or if you enter the correct one:

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Foo Bar
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE ...
[GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE

If there is a problem with the agent:

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Foo Bar
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE ....
gpg: can't connect to `/tmp/fffffff/SS': Connection refused
[GNUPG:] GET_HIDDEN passphrase.enter

which is the same as when you use --no-use-agent:

[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE ...
[GNUPG:] GET_HIDDEN passphrase.enter

and you can send the passphrase via the command fd.

So, I'd suggest to grep for "GET_HIDDEN passphrase.enter" and display
a prompt using a text composed from the last NEED_PASSPHRASE and
USERID_HINT.

Will this work for you?

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com