Results of GnuPG integration tests with IM: Gaim-E, Miranda

Toxik - Fabian Rodriguez Fabian.Rodriguez at Toxik.com
Wed Feb 19 17:38:01 CET 2003

Hello,

I am posting this for two Exodus IM developers (PGMillard and HildJJ)
primarily but also in case it would interest other GnuPG / WinPT
developpers.

In past weeks I have been looking around for different instant
messaging (IM) products that would integrate GnuPG to their
communications. After installing and trying several, until now I have
only verified full functionality with one of them. Here are the
results for Gaim-E and Miranda so far.

Gaim-e: GPL, runs on both Linux and windows, but I have not been able
to run the Windows version successfuly (Gaim alone runs fine, BTW.
Gaim-e is the GnuPG plugin). However a member of the WinPT project,
Benoît Laniel, has verified it loads OK (no tests with somebody
else). It also seems Gaim-e uses its own exchange protocol for
establishing a secure session. Benoît also tried different
modifications to the source-code and compiling options, but my
personal setup seems to blame.
Gaim: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
Gaim-e: http://gaim-e.sourceforge.net
Benoît's patch (scroll down the page):
http://gaim-e.sourceforge.net/article.php?story=2002121811195946#comments
Benoît's page on SF:
http://sourceforge.net/users/nels/

Miranda: GPL, only for Windows but is very efficient (and small:
410K). The plugin is not compatible with Gaime-e integration of GnuPG
and seems to have a bug related to long key descriptions.
Documentation says it's compatible with the ICQ PGP plugin (ICQ
99b-2002a Instant Messenger). We tested Miranda with Benoît and were
able to use IM functionality over MSN and ICQ networks while
encrypting.

Miranda: http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/
Miranda GnuPG Plugin:
http://www.nortiq.com/miranda/index.php?action=viewfile&id=216
PGP support for ICQ:
http://www.pgp.com/display.php?pageID=10

Both have source code availble, but I am not sure what is the license
for Miranda's GnuPG plugin.

Cheers,

Fabián Rodríguez - Toxik Technologies, Inc.
www.toxik.com - (514) 528-6945 @221