XTR cryptosystem

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 24 20:00:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:45:26 +0100, Emanuele Cesena said:

> do you mean useless for "client side" application, such GPG, or that's
> a general opinion?

Most cryptographers don't like the idea of patented algorithms.
Even when created by higly respected collegues, it is very unlikely
that those algorithms or protocols undergo the same scrutiny as patent
free algorithms.  And you need to throw a lot of neurons on anything
new before you can get enough trust in it for critical applications.

> ops... I didn't know... So my work will be only an useless exercise :-(

Well, maybe at some point the owner of the rights reconsider their
decision.  Just ask them.

Shalom-Salam,