newbie compile problems

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 25 00:06:02 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 04:53:55PM -0500, Daniel Packer wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> Oddly, /usr/local/lib seems to be one of the standard search paths for ELF,
> yet until I add it via LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I can't load the so at runtime.
> Remember, I said that after installed locally, I installed to the default
> directory, which is /usr/local/lib. Is there more at work here than ELF
> being crippled?

Well, what I said is how the tools work or are supposed to work.  Anything
else can only be a local problem.  Usually, /usr/local/lib is not a standard
path, but on GNU/Linux there is the /etc/ld.so.conf hack to add it on most
systems.

So, if you have the library and links installed correctly, it should work.
If it doesn't, you will need to find out why by debugging the linker etc.
(See LD_DEBUG=help program)

Thanks,
Marcus

--