user ID creation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 8 11:06:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:09:09 +0200, Harald Katzer said:

> According to the RFC 2440 "OpenPGP Message Format", which states in chapter
> 5.11. "User ID Packet", that "there are no restrictions on its [the UID's]
> content", I propose to offer the GnuPG users two types of UID!

However, it is highly suggested to use RFC822 names.  If you don't
want this use --allow-freeform-uid

> The first type should be an anonymous UID, that contains only a nickname and
> optionally some comment. The generated key pair could be trusted via the
> web-of-trust (WOT) scheme and used on anonymous discussion boards, like those
> already being used in freenet and hopefully soon become popular in
> GNUnet.

That is not a matter of the User ID but the way GnuPG is used.

> The second type of UID is similar to the one already used, with the only
> difference, that it should offer the users some more features for validating
> the indentity of the secret-key owner. I think the UID should optionally
> contain:

OpenPGP has provisions to provide all of this; please read RFC2440 or
better the latest draft (draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-08).

Salam-Shalom,

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 http://fsfeurope.org