[gpgme] Decryption gives "No Data" in a CGI

NICHOLAS ALLEN HALL nhall at students.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 26 22:00:01 CEST 2003

I recently started using GPGMe (version 0.3.15) to decrypt information for a project and have hit a roadblock. I have written a small library to provide my decryption interface with GPGMe, much of it based off GPGMe's test program "t-decrypt.c" since I started over after hitting the problem mentioned below.

If I try to use my code in a CGI program (using GNU's excellent CGICC library), a call to gpgme_op_decrypt mysteriously fails with "No Data", even though there is data passed to it to decrypt. This is using Apache 1.3.26.

Now, if I run the same program from the command line, as the "www-data" user, which is what web/CGI programs run as, the decryption works perfectly.

Someone might bring up file/path problems but for testing I've actually inserted the text I'm trying to decrypt into the program as a character string and am using gpgme_data_new_from_mem.

Does anyone have any ideas to why this isn't working? I'm guessing it has something to do with how GPGMe interfaces with GPG but am just speculating beyond that. Thanks for any help,

Nick