Changing GPGME's license

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Thu Jul 31 22:05:02 CEST 2003

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:28:50 +0200, Stéphane Corthésy said:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm not sure I got it right: do you mean that GPGME could be
>> double-licensed?
>
> No.  It is just a one-time license change from GPL to LGPL what I am
> thinking of.  There won't be an effective way to ever get back to the
> GPL.

I'm likely missing something, but the LGPL explicitly allows
relicensing the software as GPL, by anyone who has a copy.

FWIW (speaking as a non-user of GPGME), I'd prefer sticking with GPL
unless someone offers, and you are compelled by, lots of money.  The
foot-in-the-door argument isn't very compelling, IMHO, as there are
already lots of LGPL foots in lots of doors.  Having more good GPL
libraries may make people finally step through the door crowded with
feet into the GPL room, so to speak.