gnupg-1.2.3rc1: build feedback

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 20 17:37:03 CEST 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:32:59 -0600 (MDT), Nelson H F Beebe said:

> I have done builds of gnupg-1.2.3rc1 in 42 build environments on about
> 20 different Unix platforms.  31 of them passed all validation tests,
> and 11 have either compilation failures, or numerous test failures.

Many thanks. We will contact you.

> 	  Argument of type "const byte *" is incompatible with parameter of type
> 		  "const char *".

This is the usual signed/unsigned warning, I don't encounter serious.
We could cast that away but that wouldhide other problems.

Yep, we cleaned up the code but forgot some definitions ;-)

> 	mpi-scan.c: In function `mpi_putbyte':
> 	mpi-scan.c:81: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type

oops, that should not happen.

> This one is a portability problem, since it can lead to negative
> subscripts on many platforms where char is a signed type:

> 	g10.c: In function `add_notation_data':
> 	g10.c:2861: warning: subscript has type `char'

	if( !*s || (*s & 0x80) || (!isgraph(*s) && !isspace(*s)) )

We check that it can't get negative.  Thanks to Cristian Biere.

> This one is usually okay, but is nevertheless a point of failure:

> 	build-packet.c:669: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
> 	build-packet.c:677: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned

That is okay in this context. Shouldbe cleaned up of course.

Thanks,

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 http://fsfeurope.org