gnupg 1.2.1&1.3.1 - BAD output with --with-colons --list-keys for russian uid, not equal --charset utf8 --list-keys

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 26 16:45:02 CET 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 06:05:41PM +0300, Sekretnii Yenot wrote:
> This is painful for developers.  I think it's the reason almost
> all the GUI software for GnuPG doesn't handle Russian UID's correctly.
> (Examples: kmail and kgpg.)  These programs are all written with
> libraries that love raw UTF-8, but GPG is forcing these developers
> to hand code an extra level of nonstandard decoding.  (Actually, it's
> not, most programs appear to be skipping the step and just giving the
> end user garbage.)

Well, GPGME handles it correctly (or should :).

Note that you can not avoid escaping entirely, because --with-colon is colon
separated, so at least ':' must be escaped.  But if you escape/decode one,
it's a non-issue to escape/decode others as well.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org