insert new module

Robert J. Hansen cortana at earthlink.net
Thu May 29 11:17:02 CEST 2003

> I am working in my research project about insert a new module to GnuPG 1.2.1.
> Actualy, we are nearly to finish the algorithmic part and I am eager to start
> programming. We have a doubt about the language we should use. If we use C++,
> the code will look better, but all codes in GnuPG was writed in C. What is the
> best option?

Depends a lot on your target audience.  If you want your new module to
be used by the world, use C89.  My opinion of C is part of the public
record, but despite that C is still what the UNIX world uses and a lot
of people won't touch your module unless it's C.

If you don't care about the rest of the world, use C++.  Once you've got
the C++ code working, create a C wrapper (using `extern "C"') to allow
interfacing with C code.

Alternately, I suppose you could try compiling GnuPG with a C++
compiler, which might (depending on how you code things) alleviate some
issues.  I think this would probably fail catastrophically, given C++'s
much stricter type checking, but if you really want to do it, it's
possible.

--
Robert J. Hansen <cortana at earthlink.net>