[Announce] GPGME 0.4.3 released
Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 10 12:05:00 CEST 2003
We are pleased to announce version 0.4.3 of GnuPG Made Easy,
a library designed to make access to GnuPG easier for applications.
It may be found in the file (about 776 KB compressed)
It should soon appear on the mirrors listed at
Bug reports and requests for assistance should be sent to
gnupg-devel at gnupg.org.
The md5sum checksums for this distibution are
PLEASE NOTE: This is an unstable development version for testing.
The latest stable release is 0.3.15 and available from
Noteworthy changes in version 0.4.3 (2003-10-06)
* libgpgme should not be used for threaded programs anymore. This
never worked reliably in all cases, because you had to
be careful about the linking order and libtool wouldn't do that for
you automatically. Instead, now you have to link against
libgpgme-pthread for applications using pthread and libgpgme-pth for
applications using GNU Pth.
The old code for automagically detecting the thread library is
still part of libgpgme, but it is DEPRECATED.
* There are new automake macros AM_PATH_GPGME_PTH and
AM_PATH_GPGME_PTHREAD, which support checking for thread-enabled
versions of GPGME. They define GPGME_PTH_CFLAGS, GPGME_PTH_LIBS,
GPGME_PTHREAD_CFLAGS and GPGME_PTHREAD_LIBS respectively. These
variables of course also include the configuration for the thread
package itself. Alternatively, use libtool.
* gpgme_strerror_r as a thread safe variant of gpgme_strerror was
* gpgme-config doesn't support setting the prefix or exec prefix
anymore. I don't think it ever worked correctly, and it seems to
* gpgme_get_key fails with GPG_ERR_AMBIGUOUS_NAME if the key ID
provided was not unique, instead returning the first matching key.
* gpgme_key_t and gpgme_subkey_t have a new field, can_authenticate,
that indicates if the key can be used for authentication.
* gpgme_signature_t's status field is now correctly set to an error
with error code GPG_ERR_NO_PUBKEY if public key is not found.
* gpgme_new_signature_t's class field is now an unsigned int, rather
than an unsigned long (the old class field is preserved for
* A new function gpgme_set_locale() is provided to allow configuring
the locale for the crypto backend. This is necessary for text
terminals so that programs like the pinentry can be started with
the right locale settings for the terminal the application is running
on, in case the terminal has different settings than the system
default (for example, if it is a remote terminal). You are highly
recommended to call the following functions directly after
setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
gpgme_set_locale (NULL, LC_CTYPE, setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL));
gpgme_set_locale (NULL, LC_MESSAGES, setlocale (LC_MESSAGES, NULL));
GPGME can not do this for you, as setlocale is not thread safe, and
there is no alternative.
* The signal action for SIGPIPE is now set to SIG_IGN by
gpgme_check_version, instead the first time a crypto engine is
started (which is not well defined).
* In the output of gpgme_hash_algo_name, change RMD160 to RIPEMD160,
TIGER to TIGER192, CRC32-RFC1510 to CRC32RFC1510, and CRC24-RFC2440
to CRC24RFC2440. For now, these strings can be used as the MIC
parameter for PGP/MIME (if appropriately modified).
* Interface changes relative to the 0.4.2 release:
gpgme_get_key CHANGED: Fails correctly if key ID not
gpgme_key_t EXTENDED: New field can_authenticate.
gpgme_subkey_t EXTENDED: New field can_authenticate.
gpgme_new_signature_t CHANGED: New type for class field.
gpgme_hash_algo_name CHANGED: Slight adjustment of algo names.
mb at g10code.de
More information about the Gnupg-devel