gpg, key retrieval, NODATA and gpgme

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 3 01:31:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have a report from Stephane that says that gpg emits NODATA on automatic
key retrieval if it doesn't find any key on the keyserver.

This is also true when doing a verify operation.

Now, this happens before checking signatures.  So even if there is something
to verify, I get a NODATA status error on the verify operation.

I can work around this, I just want to make sure that this is the intention.
Unfortunately, the status messages are a mess as far as error reporting is
concerned.  I have hardly a chance to do the right thing in GPGME as long as
the exact status messages that can occur on an operation, including their
order and meaning, is well defined.  In other words, I can try to do the
right thing, but it can keep breaking, irregardless what I do (there is no
safe behaviour that ensures compatibility).

Because of that, the follow up question: What can we do to improve the
situation?  Better define the status messages?  Look over all status
messages and check if it still matches the intention?

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org