Problems with compatibility between GnuPG 1.2.2 and PGPTools 7.0.3

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Sep 10 20:40:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:47:03AM -0400, Michael Young wrote:
> A couple of thoughts for Werner and/or David:
>   I understand that ZLIB has some performance benefits, but this
>   issue comes up often enough that I question whether it is the right
>   default.  Or, perhaps this could be part of the key generation dialog?

What happened here was a key was generated with GnuPG, then
transferred over to PGP.  Naturally, the key has GnuPG prefs.  It is
not GnuPG's job to prompt a user at key creation time "Do you plan on
using your secret key with PGP at some point in the future?".  The
proper solution given in the spec is for PGP to rewrite the
preferences.  Any fix in GnuPG would be a band-aid for the real
problem.

Since the PGP folks have more or less agreed to do this in future
versions, this problem will likely disappear naturally.

>   It would also be mighty convenient to be able to set
>   the preferences with "--pgp7 --edit-key" followed by "updpref".
>   Alternatively, it would be nice to have some macros (like "pgp7")
>   that would be recognized in preference lists.

I've thought about doing a "pgpX" macro.  I'd rather that PGP did the
right thing rather than load up GnuPG with these sort of hacks though.

David