GPG random data gathering

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 7 09:25:47 CEST 2004

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:14:37 -0500, J Vender said:

> When, and under what conditions (using a native windows compile of GnuPG built using MSYS/MingW32 in Windows98SE) does GnuPG gather random data for the entropy pool? Does this only happen when the dos console is open and GnuPG is running, or does it happen even if GnuPG isn't running?

I don't know about MSYS.  If you build GnupG the suggested way as
described in README.W32, GnupG wiol gather random while it is running
from a couple of available sources, there is no direct access to the
mouse but system data which changes while the move is moved will be
used for example.

> Last questions: When building a native windows binary of GnuPG using MSYS/MingW32 on Windows98SE, is there any advantage to using the --enable-m-guard switch in the ./configure step, or is this unnecessary, and if so, why?

No, I am even nor sure whether it still builds using that configure
option.  I have not used it for ages.