GPG random data gathering

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 7 12:58:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 02:45:01 -0500, J Vender said:

> Does GnuPG lock the memory where the passphrase is stored, like PGP does?

It does thi on systems wehere it is possible It is not possible under
Windows without installing a special driver to support unswappable
memory - there exists no such free driver.  All Windows functions
claiming to lock the memory don't do what you would expect them to do.
Newer Windows versions (XP?) might have a new API to do this, I am not
sure about this.

> GnuPG 1.2.5 built all the way through, no problems. I've had problems in
> the po directory when building 1.3.5, but the binaries work O.K. Not sure

We have not worked on that in 1.3.x; this will be fixed when we are about
to move 1.3 to 1.4.