GPGME CVS branched

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Dec 11 21:58:09 CET 2004

At Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:04:45 +0100,
Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
> In the pth case this test needs to be linked against pth's libpthread though,
> not the system threads library, i.e. an additional -L parameter is needed
> that points to (PREFIX)/lib/pth so the libpthread that resides there gets
> picked up (why exactly this is necessary I haven't investigated, but it's
> definitely the case here).

This makes no sense.  pth and pthread are two completely different
libraries, and GPGME supports both.  gpgme-pthread is used with the
systems pthread library, gpgme-pth is used with Pth.  gpgme-pthread is
not related to pth in whatever way.  Pth doesn't even provide a
pthread, as far as I know.  At least not on Debian GNU/Linux, is that
different on your system?

> Perhaps the tests should be modified so that they're compiled and performed
> twice - once for libgpgme-pthread and once for libgpgme-pth.

Yes, maybe, but that is unrelated to your problem.  Also, note that
the test will be compiled even if you use --without-pthread, or no
system pthread library is found.  This is also a bug.  But if you
disable or enable pth, it should make no difference for this test
case, which should work as long as you have a system pthread library.

Thanks,
Marcus